Saturday, July 4, 2020

Lift Every Voice and Sing

Whew! What a wild few weeks we’ve just lived through. In the midst of this holiday weekend, I have to admit I’m not feeling overly celebratory. Each year in the early days of July, we celebrate America, and especially her independence and freedom. Heavy on my mind this year, though, are all of our fellow American citizens who not yet feel their full freedoms.

I have so many thoughts screaming through my brain, and, at the same time, words escape me. So, I turn to the work of veteran journalist Jane Pauley, whose short piece on the Black National Anthem – “Lift Every Voice and Sing” – was released a couple of weeks ago on “Flag Day” as part of the CBS Sunday Morning program.

See the 2-minute spot here: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/lift-every-voice-and-sing

I’m grateful that this national song was selected for use in our Glory to God hymnals, and I hope that its inclusion in our service this weekend will be helpful in your personal reflection and meditation. It's certainly a rousing song, so let us "lift every voice and sing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment