Saturday, October 17, 2020

Children's Sabbath and "Jesus Loves Me"

This weekend, we celebrate “Children’s Sabbath” during our worship services. The Children’s Defense Fund, an American nonprofit organization focusing on research and advocacy for children, sponsors the annual observance. The ecumenical event is designed to look closely at the needs of children – local and worldwide – and pray for them. “Children’s Sabbath” began in 1991 and continues today in Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, and Baha’i worshipping communities. 

In our Christian tradition, one of the first religious songs taught to toddlers is no doubt “Jesus Loves Me.” During a recent conversation among members of our Sanctuary Choir, members remarked “It’s simplicity touches me,” “Even now as an adult, I catch myself humming the melody nonchalantly as I go about my day,” and “I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know this song.” Perhaps you have similar experiences and remembrances with “Jesus Loves Me.”

But did you know that the song began its life as part of a novel in 1860? Or that is has an association – albeit somewhat loose – with West Point Military Academy? The story and history behind this beloved children’s hymn is well-documented in various ways online. I think this blog post encapsulates it in a succinct way.

I’ll close with NBC’s famous public service announcement tagline, “The More You Know…”  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment